Welcome!

Mighty on Paper offers a space that helps anyone and everyone in the literary world.

Have a project that isn't selling well? Here we will help promote your work and give honest feedback.

Are you stuck in a writing rut? We can brainstorm together.

Do you love to read anything you can get your hands on? Readers, this is the place for you! Mighty on Paper wants to offer you the chance to engage with authors, read their newest projects, and gush about their work.

Just want to see your name in "print" and need a space to publish your work? Welcome home! Use this space as a platform!

Whatever your needs are, we have plenty of room for you here. Welcome to our blog where the pen is always mightier than the sword!

Happy reading/writing/editing!

-Mighty on Paper

Saturday, February 6, 2021

Go F*** Yourself Superwoman



I wrote this poem a few years ago when I was in college. I had just worked a 13 hour shift for my then boss. Because I stayed that extra hour to help him out I had one less hour to work on my midterm for my poetry class. I turned in my paper at midnight, and come to find out the paper was due at 11:59 PM. I was devastated. When I reached out to my professor at 12:00 AM telling him I missed the deadline and I had attached my midterm in the email, he responded with a very clear, "you should have budgeted your time better." 



What you see below is my reaction to that encounter. I ended up submitting this poem for my next assignment. My professor hated it along with a handful of my classmates. The rest of the class loved it, and they spent a good part of the class debating the poem and it's layers. 

This is probably one of the most personal things I have ever written. I hope it strikes debates for years to come. 

Happy Reading Y'all! 


Go Fuck Yourself Superwoman

By LR Leigh



I have a family. They need a house to live in, and the house cost’s money. I need a job to get that money, but I need a car to get to my job. A job I hate. That sucks joy from my soul until I have nothing left to offer. Ah! I know! I’ll go back to school, so I can get a better job. A job I love. So I can have a house for my family to live in. I will make more money and work less. That’s the ticket! It’s so obvious now. Just a few papers and twelve hours of class a week. 


School is great. It gets me closer to having it all. Just have to write papers and turn in a few assignments here and there. But this assignment…it feels like busy work, and I have another paper due? I just turned one in last week! Another assignment due? And a paper? And another paper?! Shit…school is more work! 


More time gone. Time I don’t have. Wait…why did I go back to...? Oh, right…Money. Yeah money would be nice. 

I have to work, and study. And make it to my kid’s damn recital! If I miss another one I am not…then all of this shit…these papers, and fucking lectures…and sleepless nights are for nothing. Then what’s the point!? 


Focus. 


This is what I want. The job, the education, the house, the car, the family. That’s the dream right? I can’t remember…I’m forgetting something. It’s there on the periphery of my mind. Something important…shit! What is it? Something about…taking care of my family. No, I already covered that. They need money so we can spend time together, and go on trips. But I have to work, and study, and write papers…and more papers…and more fucking papers…but there is someone I’m forgetting in all this. Who needs me too…


Shit. My husband.




*All rights reserved. Please do not copy and paste this poem. This is an original work of art and can not be duplicated or used as another's work.*


5 comments:

  1. πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ

    ReplyDelete
  2. πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ

    ReplyDelete
  3. πŸ’œπŸ’œ this is a great poem

    ReplyDelete
  4. This poem still makes me emotional. The chaos is very real and sometimes I still feel that white noise in my brain telling me I'm almost there but need to work a little bit harder. Anywho, I still find it relatable all these years later.

    ReplyDelete